Saturday, August 29, 2009

Top Chef And Gay Marriage

Well, why SHOULDN'T a cooking show address one of the burning issues of our day? Thanks, Tom, for sending along this blog post, which links to Tom Colicchio's response about gay marriage and the Top Chef Bachelor/Bachelorette party episode in general.
Tom reminds us that Top Chef contestants cooked for a gay wedding in another season. He upholds my thoughts that being a proponent of gay marriage and doing the catering for a traditional wedding do not have to be mutually exclusive. I would expect, though, that any right-minded cooking professional would eschew cooking at any obviously offensive shindig.

I often cluck and roll my eyes whenever someone speaks against gay marriage and mutter "moron" under my breath, but here's a more useful alternative and first step in getting involved in the issue.

5 comments:

Shays’ Rebel said...

I’m somewhat hopeful that the pendulum has started to swing, albeit slowly, away from the death grip of moralism; it has to occur to us at some point that people can’t be changed (nor do they see any reason why they SHOULD change) using coercion and force. I don’t know.

Tom said...

Thanks for the post, Sue. It's good to know that there are people like you and Tom C who have a public voice and are using it to make the world a better place!

Emily said...

Me too, tom! I agree!

Also, I wanted to comment on that beautiful chicken you made. I can't figure out where to comment. Is it just me? Anyway, the chicken and rice look SO good!

Sue said...

Hey SR,
Let's hope for that together.

Tom,
It's good that there are folks like you to increase our awareness about different issues.

Em,
Agreed!

Yup, sorry it is just you, Em. You may comment underneath my FNMusings post in the place that says “Comments”, which is here: https://www.blogger.com/comment
.g?blogID=1134384403689315687
&postID=6053705734887442237

Or you can comment on the Examiner page of that recipe, at the place that ALSO says comments:
http://www.examiner.com/x-13347-Princeton-Food-Examiner~
y2009m8d29-Roast-chicken-with-mango-chutney-and-curry-glaze-recipe#comments

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Tom expressed exactly how I feel on the topic.

I think Ashley was way out of line. I understand how she feels, but she should not have taken such personal offense at someone else's wedding. Yes, it does reinforce the sense of unfairness, but she has a job to do. Anyone going into the food business is likely to encounter a wedding, engagement party, shower, rehearsal dinner, or bachelor/ette party at some point in their career. If you resent weddings that much, perhaps you're in the wrong business.

Had the couple done something to personally offend her, I could understand. If they were fundie nutballs who made public statements against gays, I'd tell AShely to boycott and boycott hard. If they said they didn't want some dyke preparing their food, I'd boycott and give them a punch in the face too. That wasn't the case. Ashley needs to let it go.