Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Emeril, Kate And MORE FN Star Stuff

Who wouldn't LOVE to have Emeril come over and cook for the family, especially if you had EIGHT kids to feed? Well, apparently Kate Gosselin wasn't that happy about it. 

She attacked Emeril TWICE with a spatula and, judging from the clip, he wasn't too charmed by her. I did not (COULD NOT) watch the whole episode (or actually ANY of it), so if my impression is wrong, I'd love to hear about it. 

Emeril says to Jon, after realizing that this is their 100th episode, that he doesn't know how he's done it. Jon says he doesn't either.  

* * * * *

It's hard to believe that I have anything left to say about The Next Food Network Star, but, actually, I do. 

A friend sent me the odds on winning for each contestant. Well, actually, it was from someone I never met before, but he was touting Bookmaker.com, (click on Entertainment), which my 20-something son tells me is a very reputable site, so here they are: 

Contestants: In Order Of Most to Least Likely To Win

(calculated after the first show)

1) Jeffrey:  -150

2) Michael:  Even

3) Melissa: +135

4) Jamika: +185

5) Debbie: +200

6) Eddie: +225

7) Teddy: +275

8) Katie: +300

9) Brett: +425

Now, because, this looks like Greek to me, I'm going to tell you exactly what my  son, acting as my gambling consultant, (I'm so proud) told me this means. 

First of all, whoever these folks are that decide this have decided that Jeffrey is the MOST likely to win (after the first show) and Brett, followed by Katie, are the two LEAST likely to win. Michael is the second MOST likely to win and then you go down the list. 

This is what all those weird numbers mean: For Jeffrey, because he has the best chance of winning, you have to bet $150 to win $100. (You get back your initial investment of $150.) 

For Michael, you have to bet $100 to win $100. (The part I kept asking about was if THAT means you win $100 ON TOP of your $100 bet. YES, you do.)

Down the list... for Jamika, for example, if you bet $100, you win $185. For Teddy, if you bet $100, you win $275!

I'm actually surprised that Brett is on the bottom. He certainly made a terrible impression and there's no way I want him to win, but I would thought being in the limelight and breaking away from the pack would have been somewhat beneficial. 

Did you know that these kind of bets (I guess non-sporting ones) are called Exotic bets? I learn something new...

* * * * *

You will be very surprised to hear me say this, I almost can't believe it but... Adam Gertler is completely...totally...charming. I watched his take on the first episode of TNFNS and he won me over. As long as he doesn't even TALK about cooking, it's all good. 

This was followed by other videos of him interviewing the contestants before the first episode and Adam was very comfortable and funny with them. Because the Food Network insisted on putting a commercial before EACH AND EVERY clip, I only watched 3 or 4 of them. Jeffrey came off very well, BTW.

(Isn't there a way that they can figure out that someone is actually watching A LOT of their videos ON THE SAME SUBJECT and give them a break by skipping a commercial or two?!!)

Anyway, Adam, I'm sorry for all the horrible things I said about you (as late as yesterday). I still don't think you can cook, I still don't think you were an appropriate contestant for TNFNS, but as an emcee, host-type of person, you did a great job and I would watch you again...especially if I could figure out a way to do it commercial-free. 

6 comments:

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

I've been thinking about how this will play out and I think I can guess. I wonder if I'll be right.

I can't tell you who will win, but I wager Michael, Melissa, and Jeffrey will be in the top three. They will definitely keep Michael in there right up till the end because every reality show needs a flamboyant, wisecracking gay guy who comes up with lots of catch phrases.

Brett will stay on for a good long time, but Teddy will go quickly. Shows like this only need one arrogant douchebag at a time.

Jamika and Debbie will hang in there for a while because FN needs to prove they believe in cultural diversity.

That dark-haired chick with the boring vegetable dishes? I'd say she'll go pretty quickly. Teddy will probably go first.

I should have just put this on my own blog and that way I'd be forced to own up to it if I'm totally wrong.

Unknown said...

I love your blog! I discovered it a few days ago (I had googled “i hate bobby flay” and one thing led to another), and I was curious to see your take on The Next Foodnetwork Star. Not being a chef (or a cook) I do look for “humor and warmth” but not star quality or cooking ability, so my favorite was Jeff because he’s kind of cute. I hope Debbie stays for a while because the rest of them will end up hating her as much as I already do and that’s when it gets fun. Yay!

Sue said...

Okay, Rach, I'm holding you to your predictions, whether they're on MY blog or YOURS. Don't worry, I'll remind you...especially if you're wrong ;-)

Frankly, I don't even remember who Teddy is. You're definitely right about Jamika and Debbie. I dislike Debbie and Brett the most at this point...in THAT order.

Welcome, Dr. Davon!
Thanks for the kind words.

Hi Shays' Rebel,
Welcome!

I agree...Humor and warmth are important, but I do think folks should know how to cook if they’re going to be on the FOOD Network…and it doesn’t hurt if they’re kinda cute too.

Emily said...

Haha, Shay's Rebel cracks me up. How can you hate Bobby Flay? I love him! Don't hate me.

I missed the Jon and Kate episode, but it sounds tense. Yikes!

I need to watch FN Star. I missed last season and hated myself for it.

Unknown said...

Emily, I remember seeing you on Ultimate Recipe. You’re so cute!

Sue said...

Em,
There are MANY other better things to get down on yourself about...like where are my brownies? Or a nice pie will do!