Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"Emeril Live" No Longer

After more than 10 years on the air, Emeril Live has been cancelled. The Essence of Emeril will stay on, but it doesn't look like there are any new Emeril series at the moment. Apparently, his audience is skewing older and is not as attractive to advertisers.

Frankly, I think the Food Network needs Emeril more than he needs them. He has a vast empire of, firstly, 10 restaurants - let's not forget that HE, unlike many newer FN hosts, is a CHEF. Secondly, he has written a dozen cookbooks, many of them fabulously successful. Thirdly, he's licensed his name on products from cookware, knives and tableware to teeshirts and clogs. AND there's his foundation, which is doing wonderful work with various children's charities. So an hour less on the FN is just going to give him more time to conquer more universes.

My favorite Emeril Lagasse TV moment was the special he did where a school won a lunchtime makeover. He went into an elementary(?) school and served lunch to the kids after working with the hilarious old-fashioned lunch ladies. I also liked that he visited with the kid who wrote the winning letter and cooked his family breakfast. He seemed easy-going, charming and very warm.

I guess in a food television world where telegenics is more important than knife skills, Emeril was bound to move on sometime. Let's just hope he's still available to turn around a lunchtime menu or two.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I was wondering if this was going to happen. I guess I understand why, but it still makes me sad.

He started it all-so, as long as he wants to be on Food Network, they should allow him. They basically should let him do what he wants. They wouldn't be what they are today, without him. I don't know if I like the direction the network is heading.

I used to watch that show when I was in 9th or 10th grade, and that's what really sparked my interest in cooking.

Cynthia said...

Like Emily, I figured that that was inevitable. Sorry to see him go.