Sunday, January 4, 2009

The New Food Network Magazine



I was happy when I saw fellow Foodbuzzer, Michelle, post about the new Food Network magazine. I had been meaning to write about it ever since I got it weeks ago.

I resisted buying it at first. After all, the new website is such an abomination that I didn’t feel the necessity of one more inadequate place to go for recipes. But I needed something to read on a train, so I bought it. And you know what? It's not half bad…in fact, it’s rather good and it even has genius touches in places.

The number one thing I like about it is that the index includes a picture of each and every recipe. That makes it easy to quickly peruse the magazine to see if there’s something you’re interested in.









For us Food Network fanatics, (and who else is going to be reading this?) there is also a index, by FN chefs, of recipes. So we see that Jamie is on pages 19 and 33 and Giada is found on 33 (as well?) and 127. Oh, page 33 has the newest books by Food Network folks.

The Weeknight Cooking feature (I suppose this will be in every issue) is also well done, with the recipes being given half a page each (lengthwise), so it’s easy to cut them out.






What about the actual recipes? There were definitely some that I would try. Also, just leafing through the magazine made me think about some combinations I would use, even if I didn’t follow that actual recipe – eggplant with sesame seeds, salad on pizza (which I absolutely love) and cranberries with pomegranates.

Not every page is edifying. One feature, which I hated, was “Out of the Box”. It gives new “twists” on ways to use mixes. This time it was corn muffin mix. In the time it takes to open the box and pour it out, you could have measured the corn meal, flour and leavenings. There is also a Lighten Up feature - “Slim Six Layer Dip” in this issue. Why bother?

Even with those reservations, I still think I may have persuaded myself to subscribe for $24 for 30 issues (their “Best Deal”) AND for an extra $5 I can get 12 issues of House Beautiful, which gives me an extra Ina bonus every month.

It’s nice to report on something well done, well organized and nicely presented…for once.


9 comments:

Lys said...

I didn't want to like it - I swear I didn't but it sucked me in. I haven't caved to the subscription JUST yet as magazines are caving left and right - but I will give it some serious thought after the new issue.

Sue said...

Lys,
Me too!!! I really didn't want to like it, but I can't lie, I did.

Michelle Rittler said...

Great review, Sue! While I doubt I'll subscribe to the magazine, I definitely flip through future issues to see how the magazine develops.

DebCarol said...

I suppose I will go pick up a copy and check it out after all this positive talk about it. I like the idea of putting in the extra $5 and getting House Beautiful. Oh and Sue, this is off topic but did you hear about a new movie they are making about Charles Darwin and his wife and their life at their home in England? Jennifer Connelly and her husband Paul Bettany star as Charles and Emma Darwin. Release date 2009 and its called "Creation".

Cynthia said...

I am so glad that your blog exists, it really assists me :) I'll definitely pick up a copy of the magazine. I saw the premier edition in October but did not have the time to browse enough to purchase it.

Thistlemoon said...

You are right...it looks pretty decent. Love that index. Thanks for reviewing it, Sue! Next time I see it, I will give it a shot:)

Sue said...

Thanks, Michelle, for reminding me to write about this.

Hi DC,
The House Beautiful bonus is real incentive to subscribing to the FN mag.

NO, I didn't hear about that movie and I'll be sure to tell my cousin who wrote the Emma Darwin cookbook about it. THANK YOU for the heads up. The casting sounds wonderful.

Hi Cynthia,
I think you would particularly enjoy the photography.

Hi Jenn,
It's definitely worth some browsing time.

Tracy said...

Looks good ... but my New Year's Resolution is NO MORE MAGAZINES ... and I'm sticking to it!!!

Mila said...

oh this looks great! I am going to have to pick me up a copy!