Monday, June 16, 2008

Food For Friends



I had some "ladies" over the other night. They were well behaved enough, I guess, but "ladies" might be going a bit far.

I put out some Papadums, which are the easiest cocktail snack there is. The hardest part is going to an Indian store and finding them. (Do not use the ones sold in the grocery store.) I like the ones that are flecked with pepper. They ARE spicy.

You put one on a paper towel and microwave it on high for 80 seconds. (The first time you try it, start with 65 seconds...I have an old microwave.) That's it! Don't do more than one at a time, or they'll cook unevenly. Serve with the deliciously yummy Tamarind Sauce, available in any Indian Store.


White Sangria
goes well with the crunchy spicy snacks.

I used 8 cups of Pinot Grigio. Any crisp white wine will do. Add 1/4 cup (or a bit more to taste) of cointreau (Triple sec is fine) and 32 oz. of Diet Seven-Up, plus cut-up fruit (1 orange, 1 lemon, 1 lime).

I made this old school nacho recipe of Dave Lieberman’s. The funniest part was the somewhat ungenerous reviews on Epicurious from some people asking WHY anyone would need a recipe for a dish this simple. But it worked out great, even if I did doubt heating up the sour cream and salsa.

I also served Chili and Cumin Cheese Puffs with a chili lime mayo. I kind of forgot about them and they came out crisp rather than moist on the inside. My friend JM said they tasted like Goldfish, which she CLAIMED was a compliment.

Chili and Cumin Cheese Puffs
A 2 egg quantity will make 40 -50 tiny puffs.

1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup water
4 tbls. unsalted butter
2 eggs, beaten
2 oz. extra sharp cheddar

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Sift flour with cumin, chili powder and salt onto a piece of wax paper. Bring water and butter to rolling boil. Turn off heat and shoot the flour mixture in all at once. Stir, stir, stir until mixture is smooth. Turn out onto dinner plate. Flatten a bit and leave to cool 2 minutes. Put back in pan and beat, beat, beat in the eggs until smooth. Stir in cheese.

Place in piping bag with plain nozzle. Pipe onto greased baking sheet. I line mine with foil and spray with Pam.) Press the tip down using a wet finger. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes.

I also served Pumpkin Cake with a Caramel Whipped Cream (email me for the recipe, it's not mine.)

AND an Orange Semi-Freddo, ditto about emailing me.


4 comments:

Jen said...

Wow Sue, you really up the ante for ladies night with everything that you served- it all sounds delicious.

Emily said...

Yes, it does sound delicious. I would love to try the sangria. And the Indian things. I've never seen them before.

I use to LOVE Goldfish, so I'm sure I would love the puffs.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

So when is the next one so I can mark it on my calendar? ;-)

Sue said...

Hi Jen,
I didn't even get to the Cosmos...

Thanks Em,
Papadum are yum!

Rachel,
Send me your schedule.