Sunday, December 16, 2012

Heartbroken But Baking

I don’t know what the right thing to do is after such a tragedy, but I do know that people gravitate to where they feel the most comfortable, the most in control and, hopefully, to somewhere that is calming and peaceful. I had to turn off the TV and DO something. Baking was it.

I know that those of you with small children in your care (bigger ones too, actually) have a particularly hard task - To be calm while feeling panicked, to smile when you want to weep and just trying to figure out what exactly IS the right thing to do and say. Some television coverage about this has actually been helpful. Our kids look to us for cues on how to feel and how to process what has happened. I guess in some cases, talking about it is the way to go; in others, it’s trying to get back to at least SOME normal routine.  

I don’t understand the attraction of the violence all around us – the video games, the movies, television, but I do think it has a part in desensitizing us to the real life consequences of real acts of bloodshed. I would be happy if all violent games were replaced by play acting at negotiating or diplomacy as I heard the Newtown Rabbi say this morning. Or I would love it if, instead of playing Call of Duty, kids would practice their skills at separating eggs or painting pictures…But for today, I’m in the kitchen. If you’re nearby, stop over for a little cake and I’ll make you a cup of tea and we can talk about…well, I guess anything that will make us feel better.

   ❤  ❤  ❤  ❤  ❤  ❤  ❤  ❤  ❤  ❤ 
This is what I've been baking - James Beard's "Don Farmer's Apple Cake". Email me for the recipe. I'll send it right out.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Hi Am,
Welcome!

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it.

There are so many problems in the world and reasons for them, But I can't help thinking, like you, that spending time in the kitchen with young folks is NEVER a waste of time and so much better than so much else they could be doing.

Ina IS perfect. From her shiny hair to her 17 refrigerators, I just love her. And she certainly gives us a respite, if only only for a little bit, in getting through these shocking and sad times.