Monday, September 6, 2010

Happy Labor Day!

I hope you had a day free from labor and you enjoyed the end of summer.

What does have to do with

?
In fact, what IS ?


It's my Labor Day beverage. I can't think anything more appropriate for a stress-free day away from the usual daily toil
than It’s always time for champagne, but what’s that floating in there?

I’ll tell you in a sec. Along with the usual barbecue items, I made what I thought was going to be a quick bean salad, except that I kept adding more and more stuff.

I started with a can of Goya black beans – they REALLY are the best – mixed with chopped red onion and lime juice, lots of lime juice…about 2 limes’ worth.

Then I chopped a mango, leaving one long slice for my glass of champagne. Mmm. I added the chopped mango to the black beans with some more chopped red onion.

Then I decided I wanted another kind of beans. I added some Goya red kidney beans, stirred the whole thing all around and tasted it. I decided it needed some red pepper. I chopped half and added it and stirred it all around. I tasted it.

I added LOTS of cumin – maybe 1 1/2 tablespoons worth. I stirred it all around and tasted it. I decided it needed some green Tabasco (I would have added a jalapeño, if I had one.) I added it and guess what I did next?

I stirred it and I tasted it. It needed something.

I zested a lime and added THAT. Next? I stirred it and tasted it. Was it done? Not quite.

I added even more cumin and little more lime juice and a big pinch of salt. I stirred it some more and tasted it. I ALMOST added some chopped celery, but I’d already eaten enough for THREE barbecues, so I stirred it once more…and served it…finally.

Here, I’ll make it easier for you.


Black Bean and Mango Salad

(co-starring a whole lot of other stuff)

Printable recipe here

1 can Goya Black Beans, really well rinsed with cold water

1 can Goya kidney beans, really well rinsed with cold water

½ large red onion, chopped

1 mango, chopped (save a slice for your aperitif, if you wish)

Half a red pepper, chopped

1 jalapeño, chopped or 1 tbl. green Tabasco

zest from one lime

Juice from 2 or more limes

2 tbls. cumin (start with less, if you’re nervous, but the beans can take it)

Salt to taste

Mix all ingredients together and stir well. Taste for seasoning. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

5 comments:

Ciao Chow Linda said...

How wise of you to save a slice of mango for the champagne! The bean salad looks great. Would never have thought to put mango in it.

Lys said...

That salad looks delicious!!!!

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Looks delicious. Love sponteneous cooking!

I want the champagne with the mango in it too!

Emily said...

Sounds delicious! I love black beans and mango. I'm the same way when I cook.. I just add more and more ingredients to make everything better!

I love champagne.

Sue said...

Thanks all. I also served the black bean salad with a frittata the next day. It was delicious!