Or Some May Say It’s Another Reason Not To Eat Raw Dough In Any Form…
Nestlé is recalling its refrigerated, pre-made Toll House cookie doughs, which have made some folks ill after they were eaten uncooked. Nestlé has issued a huge list of cookie dough products, including Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough in the 16.5 ounce and 32 ounce tubes, which should be discarded immediately. Read the full story here.
Nestlé does make it very clear on the label that its dough must be cooked before eating, but that’s a pretty hard instruction for 99% of people to follow. We’re all used to eating raw dough and we just don’t feel as if it carries the same risk as eating raw chicken, for example. A blogger , I know, HAS claimed to have gotten sick from eating (her own) dough uncooked, but THAT case was probably from the huge amount she ate, rather than from the actual dough.
I can only speak for myself. I’ve never NOT eaten raw dough and, knock on my KitchenAid, I’ve never gotten sick from it yet. BUT I’ve never bought store-bought dough either and this is certainly another reason not to.