Thursday, June 7, 2007

A Foil For A Dirty Grill

Am I the only person in the world who didn't know that you could use foil to clean a grill? I was perusing a Good Housekeeping Magazine...By the way, I just LOVE the etiquette questions - I always get them wrong...I WOULD tell some hapless mom to put more sunscreen on her kid and NO WAY would an acquaintance get the same wedding present if they eloped and I missed out on the sirloin tips or salmon filet...

ANYWAY, this was a tip from barbecue impresario Steven Raichlen. After
you've used your grill and it's still hot, take a piece of aluminum foil and crumple it into a ball. Grab the foil with tongs (plastic tipped ones are probably not a good idea) and vigorously rub it on your grill, removing all the burned-on food and gunk. What's great is that foil is malleable enough to press in between the grates. You can really work it around and remove every trace of food residue. And Raichlen points out that a clean grill makes better grill marks. Excellent point.

I tried this on my indoor stovetop grill, as well as my gas grill outside. It worked like a charm both times. Here are some additional
hints on GH's website. Happy De-Gunkifing!

No comments: