Sunday, April 22, 2007

Salad Days



It's getting to be salad weather, although we should be eating it all the time anyway. It is a lot easier - no matter WHAT time of year - if you have the dressing ready to go. But I'm not suggesting BOTTLED dressing. The only one I ever thought that was acceptable was the Silver Palate's Raspberry Splash. THAT IS SO GOOD. I could eat it by the cupful.

Now that I mention it, I'm not sure if I love the
Raspberry Sun Salad Splash, which is a light dressing with 80 calories for 2 tablespoons or REALLY Raspberry Salad Splash, which has no oil and only 25 calories for 2 tablespoons. It DOES have corn syrup, though, which isn't good for anything, so I guess I'd take the Raspberry Sun Salad Splash and use only 1 tablespoon.

But we don't have to worry about that because I'm going to give you a fantastic salad dressing recipe - one of my favorites. Make a batch of it on Sunday and you'll have it for the entire week. You can also use it as a marinade on chicken that you're grilling. Of course, don't use the dressing that you marinated the chicken in ON the salad, but you knew that...And, yes, it has a lot of honey and a lot of oil, but it makes A LOT, and it's so flavorful that you really only need a little. I also serve it on the side for dishes that need a little extra pizazz, like pilafs or grilled anything.

It keeps a week and longer in the fridge.


HONEY MUSTARD DRESSING
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1/3 cup honey
1 cup vegetable oil (I like safflower oil here)

Place all ingredients in blender. Blend well. Pour into jar. Store in refrigerator, but use at room temperature. Yum!

No comments: